Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 7th Blog Assignment

RANDY PAUSCH'S LAST LECTURE

I really enjoyed this video! Randy was so funny and had such a good attitude and personality. I really love that he started off talking about having a list of childhood dreams. I believe it is so very important for children to have dreams and actually work towards them! Most kids these days have dreams but don't ever work towards them. They just leave it at a dream not something they could actually do. Some children are even discouraged about dreams they have and thats just sad! I think as future teachers we should always encourage kids to be all they can and that if they work for their dreams they can accomplish them! I also love that he stresses the fact that he actually did everything on his list and learned from every single experiences even if they weren't exactly what was on the list.

My favorite part of the whole post would have to be when he talked about his old foot ball team. The main message was "when people stop correcting you they have given up". That statement alone just speaks volumes. It was so encouraging and it reminds us that we should never give up on anyone! Just try, try again. This I believe is a very important for teachers around the world to understand. Not just because it is our job, but because every child should have someone that believes in them and if you just give up on a kid they too will stop trying!

Another part of the video I like was when he was talking about the students learning from making things and doing things. Not just book learning. This idea caught me because I am a firm believer in the fact that children will remember things they experience for themselves better than something they are just told or taught. I think as teachers it is important to take advantage of every bit of hand on activities we can for students. The difference comes from the children actually doing activities and learning from experience rather than just memorizing information for test them forgetting about it after they get the grades.

I absolutely agree when he talks about how important it is to just have fun with it. These days I feel like there are more students that wake up in the morning dreading having to go to school. This isn't just in older kids but even young kids these days! This is so sad to me. Kids should enjoy going to school not feel like its a chore. So many children get discouraged at school and it is a pity because the younger they are when they start hating school the less likely they are to ever graduate high school, let alone college! Kids should enjoy learning and it is up to us as teachers to keep their interest growing! Watching this post was just so amazing and encouraging to me as a future teacher. I think if there were more teachers like Randy there would be much more success in schools these days.


2 comments:

  1. This video was inspiring and makes me look some things in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittani I agree with that it is sad that even young kids don't like going to school. I ask my 7 year old everyday "what did you do today?" she almost always says," what we always do - work". How can learning be so tedious at such an early age? My daughter loves to learn new things; she is always asking be questions, if she sees or hears something she not familiar with she wants to know what it is or what it means. So, I agree that by having students learn by doing will motivate them to love learning.

    ReplyDelete