Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24th Blog Assignments

MICHAEL WESCH: A VISION OF STUDENTS TODAY

I think this video is very realistic. It is very similar to some experiences i have had in college. The part when the papers said "I spend money on books I never open" "I only get 7hrs of sleep a night" "I work everyday after class" and so on and so forth. I'm not exactly sure if technology can "save us" but I think it is important and could definitely benefit in areas such as time management and what not.

The part where students were saying "I'm on my laptop in class not doing school work" or "I'm on facebook through my whole class period" that I believe is true also! I have seen plenty of times where kids bring their personal computers to class and do nothing but play the whole time. I don't know why it is a problem though because universities can have blocks put on certain websites. If universities want students to be doing online class work during the class time there should be blocks on certain websites during class hours. This would ensure that students were doing what they were suppose to be doing not goofing on the net all day.


"IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY" BY KELLY HINES

I agree with what Kelly is saying. Its kind of hard to try and eliminate technology though because of how much of todays living is based on it. I do however think that it is very important for teachers to know how to use this technology. After all, how are we supposed to teach the kids about something we don't know how to use? If we don't understand the technology our students are expected to learn or know we will never get anywhere.

However I do also agree that technology shouldn't be the only thing. Sure technology is great and very helpful, but in some cases it can rob children of their imagination. I mean really, it is so much easier to google pictures and problems for homework but whatever happened to drawing your version of an english poem? Or drawing out a cartoon using your vocabulary words? As I look back on my elementary and middle school years that kind of stuff is what made school interesting and challenging. I agree technology is important but so is children using their imagination and thinking for themselves.

KARL FISCH: IS IT OKAY TO BE A TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE TEACHER?

I agree with Mr. Fisch 100%. I believe that teachers should be embarrassed to say the are technologically illiterate. Especially in todays society! Computers and technology run just about everything. I'm not saying a school teacher should be able to do programming and tech support for computers, I'm just saying teachers should know the same programs and skills the kids they are teaching know. You can't expect someone to teach something they do not understand. You also can't expect children to learn from someone who knows less then them.


GARY HAYES SOCIAL MEDIA COUNT

This is insane! The numbers grow so fast. It's like I know how much technology I use, and it is a pretty fair amount. I also see how much my friends and peers use technology but I guess to see how fast the numbers grow on a wider scale is just amazing. This really emphasizes how important it is for teachers to know how to use basic technology. These numbers are doing nothing but skyrocketing and they will only get worse in years to come. Teachers beware! This is the age of technology!!!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post about Michael Wesch's video! I find myself on facebook in class all the time, not even trying to pay attention to my professors! Haha! I was also blow away by Gary Hayes' Media count. I really is fascinating how quickly these numbers are changing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your ideas of teachers needing to be technologically literate, but even more important than that, an effective teacher should WANT to be technologically literate. I believe that to be an effective teacher, one should seek out information that is important and relevant to her students and build upon it.

    I disagree with you, however, when you say that the university should regulate what sites are available at certain hours. A university could maybe give teachers an option to set policies within their classroom regarding electronics.

    I like your warning at the end of your post... teachers beware... if you're not ready for the technology, you just might be in the wrong place... so it's time to jump on board and take action... to make a difference for these kids!

    ReplyDelete